Click Magnifier icon to see images in full res
and captions where available
Author: Paz-Sedano, Smirnoff, Candas, Gosliner & Pola, 2022
Order: Nudibranchia Family: Goniodorididae
Maximum Size: 8 mm
Sightings: Sunshine Coast
Previously known on this website as Goniodoridella sp. 05 and Goniodoridella sp. 07. Changed March, 2022. Our interpretation of the description leads us to include both these previously separated species under the new name.
Refer to: Paz-Sedano, S., Smirnoff, D., Candas, M., Gosliner, T. M. & Pola, M., (2022). Rediscovering the overlooked genus Murphydoris (Nudibranchia: Goniodorididae): the first phylogeny and addition of four new species. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2022, XX, 1–20
Murphydoris is a genus of Goniodorididae.
The genus was erected in 1991 at the time of the single species description of Murphydoris singaporensis. Apart from Swennen & Buatip, 2012 further research on the genus has been lacking until Paz-Sedano et al, 2021 undertook a review of the morphological characteristics of the Gonidorididae family followed by Paz-Sedano et al, 2022 who described four new species of Murphydoris. All four of those new species, or at least considered variations thereof, have been recorded by us on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. At the time of original recording those four were placed as undescribed species in the Goniodoridella genus due to (what are now viewed as) superficial similarities.
To summarise the external features – Murphydoris shares non-lamellate rhinophores with Goniodoridella, but is unique among goniodorids in lacking peri-anal ctenidia or gills. That means it does not have true gills around the anus. Instead it has some appendages at the termination of the mantle notal edge on each side. These may be homologous to, or at least perform like, true gills, and acting as such are not classed as papillae. Murphydoris lacks lateral and dorsal papillae.
It is these three characteristics – smooth rhinophores, a lack of lateral and dorsal papillae, and lack of peri-anal gills, that help to separate Murphydoris from the other genera of the Goniodorididae family.
David A. Mullins – March 2022
– Baba, K. (1960). The genera Okenia, Goniodoridella and Goniodoris from Japan (Nudibranchia-Goniodorididae). Publications of the Seto Marine Biological Laboratory, 8(1), 79–83.
– Sigurdsson, J. B. (1991). A nudibranch, Murphydoris singaporensis, new genus and species, from Singapore mangroves (Mollusca: Opisthobranchia: Goniodorididae). Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 39, 259–263.
– Swennen, C., & Buatip, S. (2012). Murphydoris singaporensis (Gastropoda: Nudibranchia: Goniodorididae) found in Thailand; with external and first internal description of the specimens. Strombus, 19(1–2), 9–14.
– Paz-Sedano, S., Díaz-Agras, G., Gosliner, T. M. & Pola, M. (Online 2021). Revealing morphological characteristics of Goniodorididae genera (Mollusca: Nudibranchia). Organisms Biodiversity and Evolutionary Research. (2022) 22:93–116.
– Paz-Sedano, S., Smirnoff, D., Candas, M., Gosliner, T. M. & Pola, M., (2022). Rediscovering the overlooked genus Murphydoris (Nudibranchia: Goniodorididae): the first phylogeny and addition of four new species. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 2022, XX, 1–20